We understand the food choice struggles of dorm-living all too well. With only a microwave and perhaps a toaster at your disposal, depending on where you live, the spectrum of meal options are limited. Some of us are simply too busy to make our way to the campus cafeterias.
If you find yourself on a college budget yet still craving a bakery-esque snack, read ahead for an under-10-minute, dorm-accommodating avocado toast recipe.
- 1 slice of the bread of your preference (Honey Wheat, for a healthier alternative)
- Peanut butter
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup of water
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 paper towel
- 1 plate
- 1 knife
- 1 spoon
- 1 microwaveable bowl
- Place bread on the paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Check and continue adding time in increments of 15 seconds until it is as toasty as you prefer. Optional: use toaster if it’s available to you.
- Crack the egg into a microwaveable bowl. Pour ⅓ cup of room-temperature water into the bowl as well. Cover with a plate and microwave for one minute for a wobbly egg.
- Spread peanut butter evenly onto toast.
- Using a perforated or regular spoon (or wash off the knife you just used), slice the avocado grid-style and scoop onto the toast. Spread evenly.
- Check on the egg and add time in increments of 20 seconds until satisfied for a more hard-boiled style. When ready, place on top of the avocado layer.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes, salt and pepper as desired and enjoy!
Writer Joanne Xu / Illustrator Bryant Ju
for more, click here